Last updated 23 October 2021
We will send you an invitation when your second dose is due, which will normally be eight weeks after your first dose.
Drop-in clinics may also be available if you need a second dose of Pfizer/BioNTech and it is more than ten weeks since your first dose (quantities of AstraZeneca are more limited so please use our Priority Access Form so that we can arrange an appointment when supply is available).
Who is eligible for a second dose?
Based on UK guidance, the following people are eligible for a second dose:
- Anyone aged 17 years 9 months or older
- Anyone aged 16 or older who is a frontline health or care worker OR an unpaid carer
- Anyone aged 12 or older who has a condition that makes them clinically vulnerable to more serious illness from COVID-19
- Anyone aged 12 or older who is a household contact of someone who is immunosuppressed
Where will I receive my second dose appointment?
You will normally receive your second dose appointment in the same venue type as your first dose appointment:
- If your first dose appointment was with your GP practice then they will normally arrange your second dose appointment. Please contact your GP practice for further details.
- If your first dose appointment was in a mass vaccination centre then your second dose appointment will normally by in a mass vaccination centre. More details about second dose vaccinations are provided below.
- Some health & care workers who received their first dose vaccination through an outreach scheme (e.g. care home workers) will receive their second dose though a mass vaccination centre.
I received my first dose appointment at a Mass Vaccination Centre more than eight weeks ago and have not yet heard about my second dose appointment. What should I do?
- If you received your first dose vaccination at a mass vaccination centre more than eight weeks ago and have not yet received your invitation for a second dose you may be able to attend a drop-in session or use our Priority Access Form to let us know.
What should I do if I cannot attend my second dose appointment (e.g. I am unwell, or have been advised not to attend due to COVID in my workplace)?
What if my second dose appointment is later than 12 weeks (e.g. because I am unwell)
- If your second dose appointment is a little later than 12 weeks this won't reduce the long term protection you receive from the vaccine.
I have moved to Powys since my first dose - how do I access a second dose?
- Please use our Priority Access Form to let us know.
- Please note that we are only able to provide vaccination with AstraZeneca (subject to availability) and Pfizer. If your first vaccination was with a different vaccine then please EITHER contact the organisation that provided your first dose or complete our Priority Access Form and we can discuss with you (e.g. in some circumstances we may be able to offer Pfizer/BioNTech if you had a different vaccine type for your first dose).